Breast Cancer is a type of cancer that starts at the breast tissues, usually in the inner lining of the milk ducts (ductal carcinomas) or lobules (lobular carcinomas) that supply ducts with milk. There are both invasive and noninvasive forms of breast cancer; ductal carcinomas is usually a noninvasive form of breast cancer, since the cancer has not spread to other parts of the body. However, lobular carcinoma is a sign that the cancer has in fact spread to other parts of the breast, which increases the risk of invasive cancer.
Breast cancer can affect both women and men, although the overwhelming majority occurs in women. It is one of the most common cancers in women in the United States, as it comprises of nearly one fourth of all female cancer cases and causes up to 14 percent of cancer deaths in women. The survival rates for breast cancer vary, depending on the stage the cancer is diagnosed.
For women who are able to be diagnosed early, during stage 0 and 1, chances of survival are very high.
For those wanting to learn more about breast cancer, the following compendium of links acts as informative guides and includes links to organizations and support groups.
Overview (including Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment)
- About.com, Breast Cancer: About.com provides access to relevant articles, research, chat forums, bulletin board and links on breast cancer.
- Breast Cancer Prevention Institute: The Breast Cancer Prevention Institute provides an online publication, fact sheets and information on breast cancer prevention.
- Breast Cancer Surgery Choices: From the National Cancer Institute, this booklet is for women who have early-stage breast cancer. It explains available options, as well as suggested questions to ask surgeons.
- Breastlink.org: Breastlink.org provides current news and evaluations of breast cancer.
- California Department of Public Health (CDPH), Breast Cancer Facts and Stats: The CDPH gives an overview of breast cancer and how to make informed decision-making when it comes to treatments.
- The Mayo Clinic: The Mayo Clinic provides an overview, including information on the diagnosis, symptoms and treatment options for breast cancer.
- National Cancer Institute (NCI): The National Cancer Institute provides information, statistics and summaries about breast cancer, as well as possible treatments.
- National Cancer Institute, Male Breast Cancer: The National Cancer Institute also provides information and treatment options for male breast cancer, which is more rare than female breast cancer but has a higher fatality rate.
- WebMD, Breast Cancer: This website gives information on the diagnosis, symptoms, treatment and prevention of breast cancer.
- The Breast Cancer Research Foundation: The Breast Cancer Research Foundations is aimed at funding clinical and genetic research related to breast cancer.
- Gastric & Breast Cancer: This website provides access to articles on prevention, detection and current treatments of breast cancer.
- Huntington Breast Cancer Action Coalition: Huntington Breast Cancer Action Coalition focuses on research funding and improving access to detection, treatment and care for breast cancer patients.
- Natalie Squassi Cancer Foundation: The Natalie Squassi Cancer Foundation promotes research and care for breast cancer.
- The Inflammatory Breast Cancer Research Foundation: This research foundation is dedicated to the advancement and research of breast cancer.
- Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation: The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation is dedicated to education and research about the causes, treatment and the search for a cure for breast cancer.
- Breast Cancer Online: Breast Cancer Online is a free online peer-reviewed educational resource.
- Breast Cancer Research: Breast Cancer Research is an online print journal covering topics of basic and clinical research relevant to breast cancer.
- International Journal of Breast Cancer: The International Journal of Breast Cancer is an open access journal publishing original research on all aspects of breast cancer.
- Ladies Home Journal, Cancer: Ladies Home Journal’s section on cancer links to all relevant articles about skin and breast tumors.
- Avon Foundation Breast Cancer Crusade: The Avon Foundation provides information about organizational efforts to fund research for breast cancer.
- Breast Cancer Action: Breast Cancer Action is a national grassroots education and advocacy organization located in San Francisco, California.
- Breast Cancer Campaign: Breast Cancer Campaign is a charity providing independent funding into breast cancer research.
- National Breast Cancer Foundation: National Breast Cancer Foundation provides news, links, education and help for breast cancer patients and their families.
- Tigerlily Foundation: Tigerlily Foundation is a breast cancer support, education and advocacy organization.
- Breast Cancer Family Foundation: The Breast Cancer Family Foundation supports families, caregivers and survivors of breast cancer through services and education.
- Cancer News, Breast Cancer Support Groups: Cancer News provides information on breast cancer support groups.
- Men Against Breast Cancer: This nonprofit organization is made up of men whose loved ones are or have been breast cancer patients and/or survivors.
- Pennsylvania Breast Cancer Coalition: This is a grassroots organization using education, advocacy and outreach to support families affected by breast cancer.
- HERS Breast Cancer Foundation: HERS provides support, advocacy and counseling for breast cancer survivors and their families.